Last month, Springer Nature commenced its mentoring scheme for GCSE girls interested in STEM subjects in collaboration with Urban Partners for King’s Cross, Euston and St Pancras. The aim of the scheme is to encourage girls currently doing their GCSEs at a local school to pursue further education and a career in STEM subjects.
Springer Nature employees responded very positively to a call for volunteers, with 29 people interested to become mentors. Likewise, the young girls were keen, and the school recruited 22 students who wanted to participate to the scheme. The school grouped mentors and mentees based on the interests of the students and a statement provided by the mentors on their background and motivation.
The first session took place on 17 October, 2018 with 23 mentors and 15 students present. Once everyone was settled, the mentor and mentees were split into smaller groups. The mentees were then able to discuss with their mentors their plans for their future studies and career, and what their biggest challenges are; and the mentors also shared their own experiences.
After the session, Springer Nature carried out a survey on the mentors, and got 13 replies. When asked whether the session failed or met their expectations on a scale 1-5, 62% scored the session a 4 and 38% a 5. All respondents said that they would mentor the students again. Furthermore, 92.3% said they would recommend mentoring to their colleagues, while the remaining 7.7% said they just might. Springer Nature aims to assess the scheme and to decide next steps once the sessions are completed in April 2019.
The collaboration with Urban Partners has definitely been a positive experience and we’re looking forward to the next session!